From the President...
It is my honor to begin my term as your newest Club President of the Harvard Club of Central Florida. A hearty thank-you to the Club’s past president, Brad Rex, who has left big shoes to fill. I will do my best to carry on the traditions and mission of our Club.
Please welcome the newly installed members of our board:
- Deepa Fernandes Prabhu, ALM ’09 - VP of Programming
- Umar Syed, HES - VP of Programming
- Jessica King ALM ‘2 - Recent Graduates Co-Chair
- James Batch AB ’21 - Recent Graduates Co-Chair
Thank you to the following board members who are staying on to continue to serve the local Harvard community:
- Kate Byrne AB ‘83 - Treasurer
- Edward Coello CSS ‘83 CSS - Secretary
- Margaret Lezcano MPP ‘95 - VP of Special Projects
- Bonny Landers AB ‘77 - VP of Development
- Shan Atkins MBA ‘83 - VP of Membership
- Dan Jaye AB ‘87 - VP of Technology
- Larry Kahn AB ‘83 - Early College Awareness Chair
- Ed Murphy AB ‘81 - Schools & Scholarships Chair
- Jim Peet MBA ‘90 - HBS Liaison
- Colin Ryan MBA ‘20 - HBS Liaison
For close to 80 years, HCCF has served the local alumni community with networking and social events. With over 1300 Crimson in our geocode, the club remains a great opportunity to connect with the local Harvard community to this day. Tasked with supporting Harvard’s mission, the Club is honored to have recurring legacy programs such as Early College Awareness founded by Club Officer, Larry Kahn and robust Admissions interviews programs provided by Schools and Scholarships Chair, Ed Murphy.
Here are some ways you can continue to support the Club:
- Join the Club. If you are not a member of the Club, I urge you to join. You will receive exclusive access and discounted rates to select events throughout the year. As a Club member, you help support the events and programs that our board members arrange. Learn more about membership.
- Promote your business by sponsoring well-attended events! Do you have a business you would like to promote at club events? Become a Sponsor of one or more club gatherings and benefit from greater recognition within the Local Harvard Community. Learn more about sponsorship.
- Attend events! The connections you make by participating in club events can last a lifetime and open a world of opportunities and experiences. Learn more about events.
- Join the Club Board of Directors. Donating your time on the board enables you to participate in shaping the future of the Club. There is currently one Officer role vacant, VP of Marketing. Contact Me if you are interested in filling this position.
I hope to see you at this and future Harvard Club of Central Florida events!
Pam Fisher ALM ‘12
Harvard Club of Central Florida
The Club was formally organized in Winter Park in 1942 after several years of informal gatherings that had consisted mostly of winter resident alumni. The Club's first President was Maxwell A. Kilvert '89; among his immediate successors was Edward Gurney LLB '38 who would later represent Florida in the U.S. Senate. Several past Presidents dating back to the 1960's remain active members in the Club to this day. The Club was incorporated as a Florida non-profit corporation in 1976 but slipped into a brief period of dormancy a few years later before being reactivated in 1981. Since that time the Club's membership and activities have grown steadily, mirroring the tremendous population growth in Central Florida.
The Club is based geographically in metropolitan Orlando, but also serves a 9-county territory that sweeps from Flagler, Volusia and Marion Counties southward along the Space Coast. College alumni/ae comprise about 40% of the club membership with the remainder coming from the various Graduate Schools, retired faculty/staff and parents of current undergraduates.